Friday, May 4, 2012

Battery 519 Cape Henlopen, Delaware~ BracketMode: ProHDR: Snapseed~Vintage: Painteresque: ImageBlender

12 inch Gun
Last week I had the opportunity to visit and tour Battery 519 at Cape Henlopen, Delaware. Supporters of the Battery were conducting WWII reenactments and were in vintage outfits, as well as outfitting the barracks with vintage, furniture, and accessories. A little history on the "Big Gun's"
"In 1940, the Army had planned to place two 16" gun batteries at Fort Miles.  The second was to be just north of Battery Smith, the first 16" battery already under construction, as Delaware was considered high on the defense priority list.  By late 1941, Delaware's priority had dropped substantially, and the planned second 16" battery (Construction #119) was cancelled.  The structure saw new life as Battery 519 when the war department decided to place two 12" guns there that had been pulled from Battery Haslet at Fort Saulsbury.  The battery was completed in March, 1943 and was retained until deleted in May, 1948.  The emplacement still exists and will be the future home of one of the largest coast artillery museums in the country." 
I was shooting with my D4 but also made images with the iPhone when I knew the dynamic range of light might be outside what I could get out of my camera. I used BracketMode to capture the shots with my iPhone, ProHDR to merge the bracketed shots, Painteresque for a Filter effect, that I then blended back with the HDR image and I processed the blended image with Snapseed, applied local adjustments, Vintage looks and a few other tweeks.
If you would like to read more about Fort Miles click here for a link and donation page.

My next full day iPhone workshop is June 9 in Chesapeake City, Md. at Horizon Photograpy Workshops. Hope to see you there for some iPhone Photography fun and education.





No comments:

Post a Comment