Sunday, April 17, 2011

Photo Weekend at the National Shrine


Saturday, after presenting my thoughts on composition and light in photography, at the Baltimore Camera Club Camera School, I headed to DC to meet up with a few iPhone photo friends. The weather was very stormy and traveling down the BW parkway was very dark. I know I shouldn't have, but when traffic slowed I grabbed a quick Hipsta shot out the front window. The light from the storm was that strange combo of dark and bright. After meeting up at Union Station, we visited the National Shrine. The rain was very heavy and we were chased inside. I really should explore around town more..this is a beautiful cathedral and I am sorry to say I have never visited. Not carrying a tripod I was hand holding the iPhone, inside making some shots. We entered the cathedral on the Crypt church level and being soaked by the drenching rain I decided to just sit for a few minutes and absorb the space. I noticed as I sat that there was an artists display of plaster works on the stations of the cross and I liked the way the display lights illuminuted the works so I made some shots there. I processed these in the MonoPhix app to get the B&W conversions, then I took the images into Iris and added some texture layers to give them a look.
Often when I visit a place such as a museum or historical landmark, I try to find subjects that really speak to the purpose and presence I feel in the place. The memorial candles were lit and glowing in many places through out creating beautiful additional light.
This man stood for most of the mass exactly where the light from the cathedral met the darker hallway, as if he was afraid to cross over the line between the light and dark intersection.

No comments:

Post a Comment